2018 was a rough year in the history of Marijuana with various states legalizing the use of Medical Cannabis. This step has initiated a lot of discussion among people across the globe who are looking to experiment and find more about the potential of this miraculous plant. Medical marijuana has been a favorite topic of discussion in forums everywhere with people being curious about understanding its actual benefits.
The online dispensary in legalized states has enabled access to medical marijuana to certified patients. The rush of progress in this area has left a few baffled about who and what does it take to qualify to obtain medical marijuana in various legalized states? Here we will discuss in the context of New York about what it takes to be eligible for medical marijuana.
To get your medical marijuana card in New York state you need to speak to an NYS licensed doctor. It is legal in New York to get your weed card online.
Understanding The Legalization Process
Marijuana legalization in the state of New York aims to establish a state-regulated medical marijuana program that narrows down certain diagnosis and conditions that might require a therapeutic use of Marijuana.
Patients need certification from licensed practitioners to be applicable for obtaining medical marijuana from state-regulated dispensaries. As an identification, medical marijuana card is made available by the state of New York.
Apart from these, the state requires that any patients may not carry more than 30 days supply of the medicine and can obtain the next dosage set only within the last seven days of the previous supply. Medical Marijuana prescription should also include the form and method of administering medicine.
What Qualifies For Obtaining Medical Marijuana in NY?
As discussed a list of conditions diagnosed in patients qualifies for use of medical marijuana. This includes:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Positive status of HIV or AIDS
- Spinal cord-related injuries
- Parkinson’s diseases
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Inflammatory bowel syndrome
- Crohn’s disease
- Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Huntington’s disease
- Opioid use
- Other medical conditions as added by the commissioner
Apart from the list of conditions, patients suffering from the following symptoms are also eligible to obtain medical marijuana card in New York State
- Cachexia or Wasting syndrome
- Severe or persistent muscle spasms
- Severe Nausea such as the following chemotherapy
- Chronic pain
- Any other symptoms as added by commissioner
What Do You Need to apply for Cannabis Card in New York?
- The patient must be a citizen of the state of New York with proof of residency. In the absence of the same a U.S passport or any other identification for patient’s proof of residency such as utility bills, bank statements etc, is applicable for submission to qualify for Medical marijuana card.
- Obtaining a medical marijuana card is the most important step before the usage of medical marijuana. An appropriate certification indicating the conditions and treatment, and the purpose of the use of medical marijuana needs to be included in the certification. The certification needs to be from a state registered physician for a patient to qualify. After obtaining the certification the patients need to register for the Marijuana ID card at https://my.ny.gov/. An application fee of $50 is applicable, although waiver for patients demonstrating financial hardships is also applicable.
- If the patient is under 18 years of age, the procedure requires another appropriate person of age 21 and above to submit the application. Following the application form instructions for receiving the ID card is available at the website. The ID cards get mailed to the patients after approval of the application by the respective department.
- The validity of the ID card is for a period of one year from the date in which the physician signed the certification form in general cases. If there is any other specified time period stated in the certification then the validity will be only for that particular period of time. An exception is applicable for certification indicating terminal conditions wherein the ID is valid for the life of the patient. Patients require new certifications for renewal of the ID cards after expiration.
Remember Usage Terms:
The Medical marijuana card is applicable for obtaining the specified dosages from local dispensaries. The state requires that the patients keep the medicine in the dispensed packages and that they carry the ID card with them anytime they possess medical marijuana.
Although medical marijuana is legalized in New York consumption in public places is strictly restricted. Regulations are also laid over the method of consumption of medical marijuana. Smoking Medical marijuana or consumption in the form of edibles are both prohibited as per regulations in the State of New York. Vaporization is the method of choice and the vapor oil for the same needs to be administered through an inhaler or oral capsules. Consumption of medical marijuana is strictly prohibited inside a motor vehicle located in public places, roads, parking lots etc.